Strategic Holding Areas
Arran Resilience has recently been developing the concept of establishing a number of strategic holding areas (SHAs) around the island. Because the roads are relatively narrow, and access/egress to the scene of any incident can be problematic due to other traffic, we realised early on that it would be beneficial to designate several areas around the island as key muster-points. These could be used for additional responders, other than those required immediately at scene. We have now selected fifteen such sites, which have been chosen with the following factors in mind:
- large areas for parking, casualty clearing and as a “feeding point” for secondary resources tasked to the incident scene
- coverage via cellular and AIRWAVE networks, as well as landline communication where possible
- catering and sanitary provisions, including access to a kitchen and toilets/showers
- proximity to potential helicopter landing sites
- relative location to key intersections and propensity to protect the incident scene from an unco-ordinated response
The list of SHAs has now been established, and work is ongoing to consolidate information such as keyholders. These sites are now approved by the Arran Resilience Liaison Group, and we are hoping to publish a pocket guidebook for all responders in the very near future.